banner

banner

Monday 16 July 2012

The New HW95K is Here!

Wednesday 11th July 2012

The phone rings and what felt like an eternity of waiting was over, it was Tony from Sandwell Field Sports telling me my new rifle was ready for collection. I couldn't wait to get hold of her, I had placed my order 3 weeks before and was yearning to get back out into the field.

Friday 13th July 2012 

The day had arrived, the time was 10am and I had just dropped off my Mrs at work and the kids at nursery. Sat Nav set up, some smokes rolled for the journey and I set off on the 60 mile journey to meet Tony and collect the rifle. I arrived at the shop about 50 mins later and walked in, the shop was already packed and customers were all waiting for Tony's attention. The customary coffee was presented to me and I told Tony to serve the other customers whilst I had a mooch around the Aladdin's cave that is SFS. Goodies and toys everywhere, so much so I was getting a headache thinking about all the things I would have to smuggle back into the house and past the Mrs.

The time had come to unwrap my new toy, Tony presented me with my scope choice first, the Hawke 4-12 x 40 AO IR Panorama EV. I held it in my hand and marvelled at its beauty. I then looked through the lens and lowered the magnification looking out across the shop, "wow" were the words that fell out of my mouth. Tony smiled and said "thats a lovely scope that Phil, and my favourite scope at the moment". I couldn't agree more, the lens was so pure and crisp and the cross-hairs were fine and detailed etched onto the lens. I knew I had chosen well.

Tony then took my stage 1 tuned HW95K from its box and handed it over for my inspection, an instant smile came across my face. It was everything I hoped it to be. The days of PCP's had bored me and this I hope is my return to spring town heaven. Ive always loved the looks and reported accuracy of the HW95K but never got round to owning one so this was my springer of choice. The rifle felt light enough to carry on the hunt but not flimsy due to the solid German engineering. Tony mounted the scope and mounts to the rifle and we went up stairs to put some lead through the barrel on the indoor range. Tony fired about 5 shots before stating "thats bang on Phil, pellet through pellet". The time then came for me to have a go with my new gun, I sat and marvelled at its brilliance before cocking the barrel and loading a H&N FTT pellet in 5,53 head size. A quick thud and the pellet flew hitting a few mm from where Tony had shot. Practice will rectify this when I get used to how the gun reacts and mastering spring rifle technique. I smiled my little face off like a fat kid in a chocolate factory.

I cant thank Tony enough for the work he has done to the rifle, its a real delight to fire and has got me smiling again whilst using it. Something the PCP scene just doesnt do for me. The shops impressive and his prices on kit, rifles and equipment is very very competitive. I would urge anyone who lives within a reasonable distance to at least try SFS once. I know I will continue to make the 60 mile trip there and 60 mile trip home again from now on.

A few more goodies purchased in the shop and I went home to admire my purchase.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I went out yesterday and zeroed the scope for 30 yards in an open barn, this next picture shows 4 shots spread out which were zeroing shots followed by 20 shots then through that hole which the 5p piece covered.

Posted Image

not bad from a springer at 30 yards in the kneeling supported position from a shooter who had long forgotten the proper hold technique and principles due to shooting pcp. I must say things can only get better for me and this rifle, ill continue to learn the proper technique and the action on the rifle will continue to bed in. The rifle has only had about 150 shots through it so far.

All in all I am well happy with my purchase. I had a little stalk in the field and managed to bag a bunny at 30 yards exactly with the rifle so its been bloodied on its first outing. only a baby bunny though and forgot to take a pic of the rabbit.

Anyone considering a HW95K or using Tony's services at SFS then I cant rate either of them high enough. Pure class on both fronts.

Posted Image

1 comment: