banner

banner

Sunday 6 April 2014

Walnut Loving

As many of you will know my rifle of choice is the Air Arms Pro Sport. I've had my current Pro Sport for a year now. From taking ownership I've always had the rifle out in all weathers but pride myself in the way I look after my gear. I know some people just see their rifles as tools of the trade or there to be abused but I believe in keeping my boomstick nice and clean and always gave her a wipe down after each outing. However I wanted to give her more. 

So I decided that I would treat her to some stock loving. 

With that said I have never really conditioned my stock which is walnut. The stock is in A1 superb condition with no bumps or scratches so instead of stripping her back to the wood I thought I would just feed my stock and condition her, bringing out her eye catching grains. After much reading up on the subject so to not disappoint my sexy temptress I opted for the following product.

English Walnut Oil Preparation

1A550A3F_zpsc959c36e.jpg

At £3.00 for the bottle it certainly ticked the thrifty box and kept the Mrs off my case. The smell is superb and NO extra tools are required for the job! Thats right, NO extra items.

Walnut stocks on air rifles especially those from the factory on mass produced rifles can be very well finished but feel very dry to the touch as the wood is very porous. There are really minute microscopic holes in the wood that have this habit of catching on your facial hair when shouldering the rifle and pulling out your whiskers lol. This product is designed to be used on new stocks to help condition the finish you already have and treat the wood. The good old saying is when you begin a conditioning regime on some wood that you apply it once a day for 7 days, then one a week for a month and finally one a month for a year. Or after an outing where the rifles been exposed to rain for a good period of time.

The best way I have read to apply this stuff on the net is with the palm of your hand. I poured out a pea sized amount into the palm of my right hand and then whilst steadying the stock with my left, started to rub the oil into the stock starting at the cheek piece end and working it into the stock up to the for end. In total one coating session resulted in my using 4 pea sized amounts to get full coverage of the stock. You need to rub your palm into the wood with conviction and create heat through your skin. I mainly went with the grain pattern rather than against it whilst rubbing it in with my palm. You will notice when you first apply it that its very slippery and you'll know when to stop as the stock starts drinking it up and your left with a substance on top of the wood thats not so easy to work in. Dont worry about this or using to much as you need to leave the stock for 24 hours between coats and you will see that when you go to pick the rifle up the next day the wood will have consumed the lot.

Just remember a little bit goes and long way while using this oil. I am only on day 3 of the 7 day regime but cannot believe the difference in the stock already. The grain really does POP out the wood and I have noticed my stock has got alot darker in its general appearance which I like. The light was shit whilst I was trying to take these pics for you all after day 3 of the treatment process.

In honesty I think the stock looks 10 times better in the flesh then these pics can show but I am sure there wont be to many people out there that thinks this stock doesnt look the mutts nuts! She really is a cracker.

16854216_zpsb755532e.jpg

 CB65BC28_zps4c2a9f91.jpg

 EDC1C2E2_zps4168ae7f.jpg

42244A82_zpsd456b3db.jpg

Happy Birthday my lickle treasure!

Mawders

No comments:

Post a Comment